This course is designed for nonnative speakers of English. It will provide a basic foundation for academic scientific writing. It incorporates the building blocks of good writing in English language scientific journals, especially those based in the United States. Module topics include: using appropriate grammar, sentence structure, vocabulary, and avoiding plagiarism. Participants can receive digital badges for completion of each module and overall completion of this course.
- Identify and practice creating common grammatical structures used in scientific writing.
- Identify strategies for organizing sentences and paragraphs for scientific writing.
- Create cohesion in scientific writing.
- Recognize the role of vocabulary choice in scientific writing style.
- Apply strategies for making writing more concise.
- Develop skills in quoting, summarizing, and avoiding unintentional plagiarism.
- Develop awareness of different citation styles.