This competency-based course is part of a three-course series comprising the Business Communication Certification from the University Learning Store. Through learning resources and authentic assessments, it addresses ways to demonstrate professional telephone skills.
- Identify needs and wants of customers/colleagues in phone conversation and direct them to appropriate help in a timely manner.
- Utilize intonation correctly so as to convey your message in a positive and helpful way.
- Identify verbal techniques that indicate active listening during conversation.
- Communicate information that responds to the speaker's communicated needs and questions.
- Deliver spoken communication in a concise, clear manner.
- Ask clarifying questions to demonstrate engagement in conversation.
- Avoid empty words and phrases such as "um" and "you know."
- Begin and end interactions with phrases of polite courtesy and gratitude.