This course is for anyone interested in writing a song, no matter how much experience you have. You can participate as a composer, a recording-software guru, a guitarist, a solo singer-songwriter, or collaborate with others as a lyricist, a producer, or a publicist. You’ll be invited to participate in a series of songwriting challenges, from developing an initial concept and working on lyrics to mixing, mastering, and promoting your song. Find a project you’d like to join, or complete your own—it’s up to you.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Investigate the concepts behind songs and come up with your own.
- Deconstruct song lyrics and write your own.
- Put different song elements (e.g., lyrics, melody, chord progression) together to create a musical fragment.
- Extend a fragment to create a full verse, chorus, or bridge.
- Complete a song and add finishing touches.
- Determine the audience and develop a marketing strategy for a song.
- Reflect on your songwriting experience and consider ways to extend or enhance the life of your song.
Course is offered by University of Canberra.