Full course description
Starts June 8, 2015
Art Fundamentals will address basic art and design skills in drawing and composition, principles of two-dimensional and human figure drawing. This course is specifically designed for high school students interested in exploring their creativity and developing foundational skills in art and design with an eye toward experiencing what it may be like in college art/design programs.
The course will be organized into specific modules created by expert and passionate faculty from Otis College of Art and Design including: perspective, line and shape, anatomy and expression, and invention and construction. All skill levels can participate in these sessions and are welcome.
Intended Audience: High school students; pre-college students
Time to complete the course: 5 weeks
Prerequisites: Students should be curious, flexible, and willing to experiment. Basic computer skills such as being able to attach documents and navigate a website are helpful. Students should also have access to a camera or scanner to share work.
Recommended Materials: Whenever possible, we have listed alternative supplies that are readily available to keep the cost low. We encourage you to wait to buy your materials until you review the module assignments as you may not need to purchase anything.
- Camera, smart phone, or scanner to photo your work
- Access to a computer and printer
- Pencils- HB, 2B and 6B are recommended, but it is also useful to have 2H, 4B, 9B, or any others you want to try
- Charcoal pencil- soft, plus any others you want to try (optional)
- Sketchbook- 9x12” or larger recommended. Drawing pads work too. Even a stack of copy paper on a clipboard can work in a pinch.
- 18 x 24” drawing paper (Strathmore 400 Drawing Paper recommended)
- Masking tape- approx. 1” wide roll
- White Magic Rub eraser
- Kneaded eraser
- Pencil sharpener
- 1 red color erase pencil
- 1 clear triangle
- 1 yard stick
- 2 pieces of 4 x 7” black construction paper
- Glue- white Elmer’s or glue stick
- Ruler- Alumicutter brand recommended
- Exacto knife or utility blade (optional)
- Fixative spray (optional)
MFA Claremont Graduate Univ, BA UC Santa Barbara. Internationally exhibited painter. Exhibitions: Werkstatt Gallery, Berlin; Wilson Street Gallery, Sydney, Australia; Kaycee Olsen Gallery, Culver City; Toomey-Tourell Fine Art, San Francisco; Gallery Lara, Tokyo, Torrance Art Museu. Reviewed in Art Ltd.