Under Common Core, all teachers need to be writing teachers. Unfortunately many History/Social Studies teachers have not had significant instruction and/or practice in historical writing. Worse, very few teacher professional development seminars focus on this topic.
This six-week course will provide playlists of video lectures, leveled readings, and grade-level & subject-focused bulletin board discussions on improving historical writing. Exercises and activities will draw from the Common Core State Standards, the C3 Social Studies Framework, the National Social Science Standards, and the Framework for 21st Century Skills and provide a vertically articulated sequence of skills to explicitly teach in the future.
This course will help social studies teachers:
- Identify the characteristics of high quality writing
- Improve argumentative writing
- Improve informative or explanatory writing
- Improve narrative writing
- Conduct rubric validation, and (6) incorporate peer review and revision memos.