If you are new to coordinating assessment, looking to build your assessment competencies, or just looking for a topical refresh, this course explores core concepts of assessment coordination, providing resources and consideration in your practice. Applying and Leading Assessment in Student Affairs is a free, Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) that gives you access to assessment insights with a Student Affairs focus.
The curriculum is self-paced and provides participants the opportunity to:
- Review concepts that contribute to sound, sustainable assessment practice.
- Explore the development of foundational assessment components including planning, articulating goals and outcomes, and providing feedback.
- Identify strategies for guiding assessment efforts across multiple functional areas and teams.
- Discover ways to translate data to a story of student success with a plan for action.
Your level of participation is completely up to you, as there are no formal, time-bound assignments. The Applying and Leading Assessment in Student Affairs free online course is divided into eight modules formatted to address seven learning outcomes and an opportunity to connect concepts from across the course. The course is completely self-paced! You can move through all of the modules to complete the course in full, or pick and choose which individual modules most interest you, and complete only those. While the course is self-paced, the instructors will move through the content one week at a time. Accordingly, students who work ahead or join modules late may not have as much active opportunity to engage with peer students or the instructors.
The eight modules of this course include:
- Assessment Foundations for Effective Practice
- Assessment Planning
- Consulting & Critique
- Success Criteria & Targets
- Critical Approaches & Ethical Considerations
- Data to Decisions
- Culture of Assessment Practical Applications
- Connecting Concepts to Advance Student Affairs Assessment
Students who wish to be recognized for completing activities and other projects can receive a Statement of Accomplishment based on a minimum level of competencies achieved.
Course is offered by Colorado State University Online in partnership with Student Affairs Assessment Leaders (SAAL)