This eight-week online course provides an overview of the economy surrounding biotechnology. As a participant, you’ll learn about biorefineries, nutrients, biopolymers, bioenergy, and the cycle that takes products from biomass to world markets.
Learning activities include online instructional videos, exercises, interesting guest speakers, and discussions that focus on the theory and practice of companies in the Dutch Delta working in this new economy. Additionally, you can participate in interactive case studies intended to challenge the shared brainpower of course participants.
Participants will gain a general understanding of the following themes and associated topics:
- Biobased economy (biobased production chain; dedicated crops and biomass residuals)
- Biobased energy (biomass input, processing, conversion; different units of energy)
- Biorefinery (features and classification)
- Biopolymers (types and biosources; properties for product development; biocomposites)
- Natural compounds (metabolism; metabolic pathways; compound classes)
- Nutrients (macro and micro nutrients; organic fertilizers)
- Algae (production; production systems)
- Sustainability and economics (climate; sustainability; forecast)