Full course description
Starts October 26, 2015
With campuses now under fire for their course content not complying with 504, 508 and WACG2.0 guidelines, it is timely to visit the topic of accessibility in the educational setting. This MOOC introduces the importance of accessibility as an essential communication tool to provide equal, barrier-free access to information for educational institutions. Participants will be exposed to the legal guidelines and standards which affect most educational institutions. The MOOC will focus on accessibility principles and techniques, contextualized for educational users but will also be useful for anyone interested in applying accessibility tools to their communication.
Topics covered in the MOOC:
- Principles of accessibility, why it is important, and who is affected in educational institutions.
- The effect of accessibility barriers on people's access to information.
- WACG 2.0 guidelines and resources as the international standard for web accessibility
- Creating accessible MSOffice and PDF documents.
- Creating accessible images, diagrams and charts.
- Creating accessible audio and video resources.
- Creating accessible HTML pages.
The Colorado Community College System
The Colorado Community College System (CCCS) is the statewide pathway to individual achievement and economic vitality. We provide an accessible, responsive learning environment that facilitates the achievement of educational, professional and personal goals by our students and other members of our communities, and we foster an atmosphere that embraces academic excellence, diversity and innovation.