CATIE’s HIV Basics is an introductory-level course geared toward service providers who work with people at risk of or living with HIV. This course aims to build foundational knowledge of HIV, covering topics such as HIV epidemiology, transmission, testing, treatment, prevention and the long-term impact of HIV infection. HIV Basics will assist front-line service providers to accurately discuss HIV with their clients and provide support around HIV prevention, testing, treatment and care.
At the end of this course, you’ll be able to:
- Define basic terminology related to HIV.
- Understand the context of HIV in Canada.
- Discuss HIV transmission with accuracy.
- Explain the tests used to diagnose HIV and describe the HIV testing process.
- Communicate the basics of HIV treatment to clients.
- Understand the impact of long-term HIV infection.
- Identify tools and strategies used to prevent HIV transmission.
Target Audience: Service providers working with people living with or at risk of HIV.
Course is offered by CATIE.