This course is designed to develop undergraduate research writing skills. Writing in an academic community has a certain set of "conventions" and formats unique to the specialized purposes it serves. Research assignments are the most common and most challenging writing tasks you will be engaged in as an undergraduate and certainly as a graduate student. This course focuses on helping you become aware of the expectations of this specialized form of writing and guides you through the research resources specific to a university library and to the formats and styles expected in writing a college research paper.
- Communicate research findings and original ideas in clear, logical, academic writing.
- Apply compositional principles and syntactical, lexical, and stylistic conventions of American English to academic writing.
- Write and revise collaboratively for an academic audience.
- Evaluate and document research sources and cite sources in APA style.
- Apply technical knowledge and experience to participation in the online environment.