Faculty examine how their own experiences have shaped their perspectives and the importance of valuing different viewpoints. In addition, the module addresses the power of explicit and implicit messages (microaggression, stereotype threats) and offers techniques to create an inclusive classroom environment, as well as a curriculum, that is representative of diverse students.
This module is one of seven modules under ACUE’s domain on Establishing a Productive Learning Environment.
- Examine how your background and experiences have shaped your perspective of your own and others’ cultural identity.
- Recognize the importance of valuing different viewpoints.
- Discern the impact of explicit and implicit messages on students.
- Understand the impact of microaggressions and mitigate their effects.
- Understand the impact of stereotype threat and mitigate its effects.
- Incorporate diversity into your curriculum.
- Create an inclusive classroom environment.
- Set ground rules early on for maintaining productive discourse.
- Manage "hot moments" in the classroom.
- Ensure your course is representative of diverse students and sensitive to a diverse society.